Newport Beach. Calif., October 11, 2010 – NVISION Laser Eye Centers, formerly part of TLC Laser Eye Centers, is introducing its first new service since changing its name last month.
“If you’re one of 22 million people nationwide who suffer daily from dry eyes , the Dry Eye Clinic at our eight NVISON Laser Eye Centers throughout California can offer you comfort and relief with a variety of treatment options, “ said Dr. Tom Tooma, the Medical Director for NVISION Laser Eye Centers, formerly part of TLC Laser Eye Centers, and renowned eye surgeon who has performed more than 100,000 vision correction procedures.
People who suffer from dry eyes include those who:
- Wear contact lenses, especially for prolonged periods of time;
- Are taking medications such as antihistamines or birth control pills;
- Are over 50, especially women going through menopause;
- Have specific diseases such as Sjogren’s Syndrome, rheumatoid arthritis and collagen vascular disease;
- Have eyelids that don’t close properly due to structural abnormalities;
- Or live in dry climates.
If you suffer from dry eyes, you may experience:
- Light sensitivity
- Redness of the eye/lid margin areas
- Blurred vision
NVISON Laser Eye Centers offers both diagnosis and treatment of a variety of dry eye conditions:
- Dry Eye Assessment – An Important Number to Remember
The dry eye assessment yields a number that gauges the severity of the eyes’ dryness. Just as many people know their cholesterol, blood pressure or heart rate, this simple assessment reveals each patient’s number, which serves as a baseline for their severity of dryness, and a progress indicator throughout their treatment.
- Personalized Diagnosis
The exact cause of each individual’s dry eyes varies. This comprehensive evaluation will assess the specific cause of the patient’s condition and provide key information the doctor will use to create the optimal treatment plan.
- Treatment Options
Each treatment regime is specialized for the patient’s individual needs and may include one or more of the following programs:
- Topical treatments
- Prescription eye drops
- Prescribed dietary supplements
- Lid hygiene/therapy
- Application of small collagen or silicone plugs that prevent the draining of tears
- Light Therapy – Many people already know the amazing benefits of IPL (Intense Pulsed Light) laser to create beautiful skin. But this technological breakthrough has also been used to unplug the oil glands that line the upper and lower eyelid margins. The light serves as a healing warm compress to liquefy any secretions that may be blocking the oil-secreting gland of the eye (called the Meibomian glands). Once the glands are unplugged, the oily layer of the tear film is restored, allowing tears to remain in the eye and bring soothing relief.
- Oil Gland Therapy – This process often yields astonishing results in restoring the oil secretions of the Meibomian glands. A small instrument gently probes the oil glands lining the upper and lower lid margins. The oily layer of the tear film is restored, and tears remain in the eye instead of evaporating, thus providing soothing relief.
- Tear Duct Therapy – The canals of the eye are sealed with cautery, a form of healing heat to prevent tears from draining. This is considered to be the best method for creating permanent closure of the canals. The treatment allows the eye fluids to stay in the eye and provide soothing lubrication and relief.
Some treatments are billable to insurance and vary with each individual plan. Those interested in learning more about The Dry Eye Clinic at NVISION Laser Eye Centers can contact their eye care provider or call 1-877-91NVISION (1-877-916-8474)
About NVISION Laser Eye Centers
NVISION Laser Eye Centers, formerly part of TLC Laser Eye Centers, has eight locations throughout California from San Diego to Camarillo. With more than 1,300 eye doctors who refer their patients and trust their own eyes to NVISION affiliate surgeons, we are the Eye Doctors #1 Choice, and serve the counties of San Diego, Los Angeles, Orange, Riverside, Ventura and San Bernardino. For more information, visit our new web site at www.NVISIONCenters.com or call 1-877-91NVISION (1-877-916-8474).