- Founded in 1999 as Laser Eye Care of California, LLC, a partnership between Dr. Tom Tooma and TLC Vision Corporation. TLC, a national franchise, licensed the TLC Laser Eye Center brand to the partnership.
- TLC Laser Eye Centers (TLC) California began with four laser surgery centers — Newport Beach, Ontario, Irvine and Brea.
- Over the next decade, several major milestones took place:
- TLC grew to 12 centers throughout California from Ventura County to the San Diego Metro area.
- The company grew from two eye surgeons and two clinical optometrists to 120 employees by the end of 2009.
- Began with only 500 referring optometrists (ODs) to more than 1300.
- TLC expanded its service offerings to include:
• Refractive services: LASIK, PRK, Intacs, ICL, IOL
• Cataract services: multifocal, accommodative and toric, standard and monofocal IOL’s
- TLC purchased Pacific Hills Surgery Center (Laguna Hills), an ambulatory surgical center with a broad base of procedures offered beyond ophthalmology. As a multi-specialty surgery center, Pacific Hills Surgery Center has served the community for years; providing outpatient surgical procedures in the following specialties:
- Pain management
- Plastic surgery
- On September 1, 2010, Dr. Tooma ended his affiliation with TLC and created a new brand, NVISION Laser Eye Centers, with eight locations in La Jolla, Palm Desert, Ontario, Fullerton, Newport Beach, Laguna Hills, Torrance and Camarillo.
- NVISION introduced the Dry Eye Clinic program in California to offer patients non-surgical and surgical options; including drops, silicone plugs; light, oil gland or tear duct therapies. Dry eyes affect 22 million Americans.
- By the end of 2010, NVISION added one more location in Murrieta, for a total of nine.
- NVISION currently has 10 centers that employ 130 employees and 15 eye surgeons.
- All NVISION centers utilize the latest advances in laser eye surgery; including the Ziemer Femto LDV Crystal Line laser, custom wavefront guided, wavefront optimized, or blade-free LASIK.
- For cataract surgery, NVISION is now utilizing the Alcon LenSx Laser, a bladeless, computer-controlled laser that ensures the highest-precision surgical incision and is revolutionizing refractive cataract surgery.
- NVISION eye surgeons’ surgical success rate is exceptional, with only 1% of its patients needing an enhancement because they didn’t achieve 20/20 vision with their first LASIK eye surgery.
- NVISION has the largest referring network of optometrist affiliates. Over 1,300 California eye doctors refer patients to NVISION, and more than 350 eye doctors have had their own LASIK surgery with NVISION.
- NVISION eye surgeons have performed LASIK surgery on a variety of celebrities as well as professional and amateur athletes; including actors and actresses, baseball players, race car drivers, golfers, Olympic athletes, ESPN announcers, radio personalities, football players, and models.